What follows is a brief History of our lodge,
In the small town of Birmingham in 1733, a tiny group of local worthies met for the first time and formed a Masonic Lodge, which met at “The Swan” on High St, near the Bull Ring.
Masonry in England was still in its infancy and the first Grand Lodge was only formed 16 years earlier.
Over its early years the Lodge number was changed many times until in 1863 it became the now familiar No. 43.
One of the early prominent figures was James Sketchley, who was Senior Warden in 1756. He was a successful local auctioneer, printer and publisher and was active in forming the Provincial Grand Lodge of Warwickshire in 1792.
During the industrial revolution, many members of the Lodge were jewellers working in the jewellery quarter near St. Paul’s Church. In 1784 the Lodge requested Grand Lodge to change the name of the Lodge to St. Paul’s Lodge, which has remained unchanged to the present day.
After the Lodge centenary in 1833, Grand Lodge permitted the members to wear a Centenary Jewel. This is unique in design as Grand lodge subsequently decreed that all new Centenary Jewels have to be made to a standard design.
The Lodge has continued meet continuously on the fourth Monday of the month even through the conflicts of two world wars.
A new tradition was started on the 200th anniversary of the lodge, when the Provincial Grand Master Col. W.F. Wyley, V.D., D.L, J.P. was installed as Master. This was continued on the 250th anniversary, when R.W. Bro. Thomas A. Wood, PGM became Master and again on the 275th anniversary, when R.W. Bro. Michael J Price, CBE, PGM was Master.
The Lodge, although not large, continues actively today and welcomes new initiates.
A full history of the lodge will be available to download in pdf format from this page SOON
The old minutes of the Lodge are stored in the archives of Birmingham Library and can be viewed there on CDs.
Our family tree can be found HERE